Search This Blog

Mar 14, 2011

Dissecting a Saying: Part 2

In this special edition we are going to look at a few sayings that don't quite hit the mark and make it difficult to convey your message.

- The Proof Is In The Pudding - What? I'm sorry, I didn't know we were ordering dessert. Much less do I understand why there would be plausible evidence in my chocolate mousse whip.

- People Who Live In Glass Houses Shouldn't Throw Stones - Duh. Nor should they live in glass houses. That's a dangerous living environment, call Remax NOW and get out before the Big Bad Wolf shows up.

- Barking Dogs Seldom Bite - Obviously you've never been to my neighborhood, because they all do both.

- There Are Other Fish In The Sea - Really? I thought there was only that one fish in the entire ocean, but you are telling me that there are more? Have you ever gone fishing? It's a lot of work to catch one fish, and it got away. Yes there are others, but it's a pretty big ocean my friend. Finding one of the many others will be no easy task, probably even harder than finding the first. And with the additional shot to the ego that comes from already having failed, the last thing I need is your observation about the already understood situation.

- Never Cross A Bridge Until You Come To It - Is it even possible to cross a bridge before I can step on it? You've lost me, and wasted my time. Goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment