Search This Blog

Apr 12, 2011

Apologies

I think I owe one for being inactive for almost two weeks but we'll skip that and get onto the good stuff. Apologies are obviously for when someone screws up. Sometimes they'll take the humiliation and do it themselves, sometimes someone else apologizes for them, and often enough they act like it wasn't a big deal and completely blow you off. The apology really depends on what they did, and the necessity and impact of an apology depends on the frame of mind of the victim and the sincerity of the criminal. For instance, if you step on my toe and say, "Wow, scuse me. Sorry bout that" I will not mind the grammar and will write off the entire thing as not a big deal. Reversely, if you stomp my toe and hurry on your way without an acknowledgement don't be surprised when my shoe hits the back of your head. Apologies usually accompany accidents or guilt. In fact those are the only two situations I can think of where apologies are present, unless it is a sarcastic one which doesn't count. You dump milk on my head and go "whoops, sorry" and I know your not. Everyone watching would know your not, especially with the exaggerated 'e' sound at the end of sorry. Is this a little hypothetical, random, slightly confusing, obvious point? I suppose so.
The morale of the story is that apologies are pleads for forgiveness from people who have made mistakes. While they seem obligatory for most occasions they have power. Acknowledging that you messed up and hurt this person is no small feat, and it's something that this person might have needed. Maybe it's closure from some horrible thing that happened years ago, maybe it's a serious mistake that has cost you both dearly. Maybe it's something you can't ever make right. But it's better to try. And be sincere. I'm not sure if it's worse to get no apology or one of those fake ones. "huh...... well I'm sorry and whatever.......sigh" That's bullpoop (politically correct term) and doesn't mean squat. It's insulting and proof that you don't deserve retribution (good word, eh?).
Well that's my schpeal (might not be a real word) and since it falls on me to do so I apologize for the long break and will not let it happen again. Even if nobody reads this or even of it's only one body this is something I need to keep up with. I give up on way to many projects and this is one that I plan on seeing through to the unforeseeable end. I'm not going to let writers block, stress levels, or accumulated work keep me from doing what I love any longer. Cheers for now-
Sincerely,
Captain Obvious

No comments:

Post a Comment