Search This Blog

Feb 2, 2011

American Idol

For nine seasons this talent search has been bashing ratings, with people tuning in only to hear Simon bust on some poor, untalented yokels. This season with a new set of judges the show is still topping charts. The only constants have been Randy Jackson, and that can't be it, and Ryan Seacrest which could. I think the real appeal of the show originally laid in the idea that undiscovered average joes could get a chance to make it in the music business. What's happened in the past 10 years is that it's morphed into this ridiculous popularity show where you know the best person isn't going to win. It's just 20 weeks of listening to a group of ga ga singers going through ups and downs and having Simon slowly break them down. The saddest part about it is that for the first few weeks looks alone will get you through the ringer. You don't have to be able to sing to win this show, you just have to have sparkling blue eyes, obvious heterosexuality, nice hair and a boyish cute smile or a sob story. For the past 9 seasons of this show the best singers have been eliminated before their time came, and some nobody has walked away the winner. Which American Idol winner is the most successful? Let's just say that they are all less successful than Adam Lambert and Daughtry and call it square.

To be honest the only thing that this show has done is destroy my faith in America, as if the Jonas Bothers and Justin Beiber hadn't already. The winners always produce a mediocre album and disappear before we can notice. Only exception was Kelly Clarkson and she had to sue someone to get that far. Every Wednesday you find yourself rooting for your favorites and cursing the likes of Sanjaya, or Lee, or whoever the talentless washed up losers there are that season. Then Thursday roles around and your favorite is eliminated with that person that got all the worst critiques running the show in votes. Everything about the show is aggravating. I would record this show and go to watch it the next day and not know what to watch. I'd fast-forward through most of the performance and all of the critique and commercials so why was I watching it? Was I watching it? I don't know, but I didn't want to anymore. I will spend my Thursdays watching Wipeout, thank you.

In the end it's all opinion, and I apparently just hate the majority of Americas way of thinking. Even the judges make dumb choices. I can't rationalize what they do, I just shake my head at it. Maybe I don't know music but I know what I like, and this is not even close. Goodbye American Idol, hello iTunes.

No comments:

Post a Comment