Search This Blog

May 24, 2011

Photographs

I think they are great for memories and as an art form but that classic "1, 2, 3, say cheese!" I find to be horrible. It's perfectly fine to take pictures but I don't think that they should be exaggerated and hyped up as often as they are. People freak out if you want to take their picture on short notice. They'll try to put it off, or say how they look disgusting or their hair isn't right. They make you take multiple shots until they find one that makes them look like glamorous queen they think they are or until your film is all gone if you haven't converted to digital. I find photos to be eerily fake sometimes. You'll smile even if your not happy, and that's not real. Let photos capture the real emotion of a scene and it becomes art. Have everyone pose and show off their chompers in a plastic, lifeless grin is just short of criminal. Yearbook photos are what make me think of this. On picture day I know plenty of people who's parents freaked out and bought them new clothes, a fresh haircut, did their make-up, shined their shoes even though it was a profile shot. Ridiculous really. My own mother said "You have to look nice, this will live forever!" To which I replied, "Yeah, in someones closet." This picture will be what people remember me as for the rest of their lives and I want them to remember me as me, not the girl with make-up (which I never wear) and super shiny, stellar hair that looks like it belongs on an ad in front of Great Clips hair salon. I get that you want to look nice for these things, but don't take it to the extreme. My mom had me push the date back for my photos so that I could have more time to prepare. For what? No idea. Guess to practice my smile and not blinking.
Now blinking is the worst crime committed in photos. Red eyes are creepy, but when you mess the picture up that bad its unforgivable. At least in posed photos. Candid is the term for the photos that don't require you to stand absolutely still with plastered on smiles. They are natural shots which I think come out way better and are more interesting. Seen one posed picture you've seen em all. See one candid shot and you'll want to see another. Photos are powerful, no doubt, but I'm sick of this need to make them into an actual event when it's merely the click of a button and the digital imprint of a moment in time. Think about it.
Your Welcome,
Captain Obvious

No comments:

Post a Comment