Search This Blog

May 18, 2011

Boredom

Boredom makes people do things. It's probably the motivation for most of you reading this, it's why some people start wars, and it is why T.V. was invented. I know a person who got their nose pierced because she had nothing better to do that day. Boredom makes us do crazy things, but when you're alone with only your own thoughts to keep you company, you grow the most.
People have asked me "How did you come up with that idea?" and I answer "I don't know." To go into more detail and say 'I was bored so I did this which led me to doing something else, which made me think about this and that, and Ta-Da! This happened' would take too long. The truth is that when I'm bored my mind entertains me. It's my bodies natural defense. Unfortunately not everyone comes equipped with this function, which is why I believe so many people do so many stupid things. Why do people do drugs? Because they have nowhere else to be.
When I have nothing to do I honestly make stories. Maybe that's sad but I've watched so many movies, read so many books, and played enough video games to the point where their plots hardly surprise me anymore. I try to come up with characters that haven't been made yet, or settings and situations that no one has had to face. I have about six stories that I play around with, each having a unique time period and cast of characters. Now is that pathetic? No, I think it's awesome. But that's what I do, and it's not for everybody. Just get a hobby and you'll have an outlet to spend your spare time in.
Examples:
Video games are an awesome option because they are interactive, expansive, and can be shared with a companion.
Having friends is obvious, but actually hanging out with them is better.
Travel. Even if it's not to another country go somewhere. New surroundings are good for you.
Start a club or band. Something to do with other people.
Coin collecting.............. isn't even a hobby just a pointless task (this coming from an old time coin collector) but it's better than nothing.
Physical activity like sports or running are great options. Anything that keeps your body moving.
Play an instrument. But if you have the patience for that you weren't really bored in the first place.
There are plenty of others, I'm not trying to limit that, just suggest some. I think that truthfully this is a pointless explanation because everyone has faced the boredom and knows how they will react. I don't expect this to inspire anyone who does drugs or dogfighting in their spare time to turn it all around now, but just think. Think before you do something stupid for the sake of entertainment. Use that cranium of yours and find an interesting world in the refuges of your brain that you've left locked up for so long. Yeah, life is boring. It's a pattern, a rut, a shade of dull grey. Add your own color and watch the magic happen.
Your Welcome,
Captain Obvious

No comments:

Post a Comment